The Spiced Pear Tea Room: A Review

Posted by: amy,


Last Thursday, my dear friend Chandra and I tried this little place near Soho in Homewood called The Spiced Pear. I was particularly ecstatic, because I had never visited a tea room, and it seemed at the time highly appropriate given my interest in Victorian culture and so on.

We parked out front and were surprised by the fact that our venue was a tiny little white house. How fitting. Quickly seated by the window, we flipped through the long menus, hunting for something to strike our fancy. I quickly settled on the "Cream Tea," which includes scones and clotted cream and lemon curd with my choice of tea. Chandra selected the pimiento cheese sandwich.

We had trouble picking between the large assortment of teas (there were several pages devoted to this task on the menu.) I ended up picking a Roobois tea that smelled heavily of muffins, and Chandra (of course) found a chocolate black tea. The flavor was very delicate, and little sugar was necessary to provide adequate sweetness. It was tasty, and a pot of tea only runs about $3. I was pleased.

The food came shortly thereafter. We were provided with well sized portions; Chandra's sandwich was served on a croissant and came with a salad. My scones were quite surprising. They were little squares with chocolate chips. Normally, I'm not a fan of chocolate chips left unmelted, but I was very impressed. The scones were delicious, especially with the amply supplied lemon curd and clotted cream. The mixture of all three and the tea was especially delightful.


And of course, Chandra and I -had- to get dessert following our sumptuous luncheon. We tried a trio sampler: chocolate mousse cake of varying layers, a delicate white cake with lemon, and a key lime tart bite. My favorite was definitely the white cake, and Chandra (of course) selected the chocolate mousse as her favorite.


All in all, a great time and done very inexpensively given the type of fare we were served. Our waiter was a touch random for the occasion, offering us quips on the 'wild' nature of the general customers (older ladies)at the tea room and how he loved to 'give the ladies a good time,' but the food and environment were definitely entertaining if you are seeking something prim and proper and delicious.

I give it a thumbs up.

Side note: I also found that my dear friend enjoys eating sugar cubes with silver tongs. Isn't she the best?


1
Hello, sorry this may be completely off topic, but I just had to ask. :)

Did you use to go by the name Evangeline?

If not, feel free to delete/ignore this comment. Thanks. ^_^

 
photo

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer massa. Duis vel libero vitae leo placerat blandit. Sed a nisi ac turpis facilisis facilisis. Pellentesque ut enim. Nam mollis ante. Quisque a eros. Fusce rutrum. Donec suscipit lobortis turpis.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com